Wednesday, April 29, 2020

First House Living Room Help Wanted!

Hi fellow redditors! I will be closing soon on my first home purchase and I'm looking forward to the getting to do the fun stuff- decorating. I'm pretty good at clothes and fashion and design/decor in general but I'm stuck as slug in mug. I am able to point out pieces and say "I like that" or "This table would look great with this couch" etc. but I struggle with putting together a cohesive room. I'v

Style: "Masculine," modern, cozy, industrial, farmhouse, mixed metals and wood, minimalism, scandinavian. I'd like a fair amount of (hard-to-kill) greenery in the room (perhaps 2 snake plants along the 2 sections of wall that come in at the room's entrance).

Items: Couch, accent chair(s), lift-top coffee table, end tables, rug, lighting. As far as the rug goes, I'm thinking creams, greys, whites, tans, blues, etc. But I'm open! I'm planning on putting whitish sheer curtains over the window to let in light but allow for privacy.

Budget: $2000 max (ideally less). No more than $300 for the rug.

Specific Questions: Should I put a large piece of art such as this above the fireplace instead of having the TV there? If so, should I place the TV slanted in a corner?

Sectional? If so, how should I place it? Should I put a sofa against the window? Should I put one near the entrance of the room (the back of the sofa facing the kitchen and the front facing the fireplace)?

I had so many more questions but I'm forgetting them now. The wainscoating is 3 feet high. This is a mockup of the room I created.

Other: I would like to have some/most of these books as decor in the room somehow but I don't think there is room for a bookshelf.

Pictures of the room: Living Room 1 Living Room 2 Living Room from Kitchen

I was visiting a friend's swanky studio apt in a big city and really liked the decor in the lobby (they always have the great design).

I'm not too keen on painting the walls (a light greyish-blue) or doing anything to the floor.

Sorry for the length, I'm just a wordy person and wanted to explain everything as well as I can. I'm in the SE US btw. Thank you all so much!



Submitted April 29, 2020 at 07:15AM by cielopomar https://bit.ly/2SeStQ0

No comments:

Post a Comment